Blackburn in the History of the Red River Valley

 

The Studio of George F. Blackburn.  On the 22nd day of March, 1882, Mr. George F. Blackburn came to Grand Forks.  This was the year of many new arrivals.  He is a native of Lanark, Canada, where he was born in 1853 (1851).  When seventeen years of age he began his professional career which has brought his fame and a substantial income.  The years between 1870 and 1876, were spent in photographic work at Perth, but having a desire to prepare himself thoroughly for his chosen profession he went to Rochester, New York, and for a term of four years remained in one of the best galleries in the East.  After a visit to his people in Canada, he then came to Grand Forks, where he pursued his business for a quarter of a century; and his gallery has always given evidence of the work of a first class artist.  A visit to his studio and picture galleries would show that most of the people of the valley have visited his place.

Mr. Blackburn is a member of the Presbyterian Church.  He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and Order of Free Masons, but his time and attention have always been strictly devoted to the art of photography of which he has been a close student.  He has recently acquired land interests in Oregon.

His wife was Miss Amelia Schraeder of Rochester, Minn.  They have a son, George F. Blackburn, Jr.

Source:
History of the Red River Valley
Past and Present, Volume II
C. F. Cooper & Company, Chicago, 1909
Page 632

 

Share Button