The Berg Studio. One of the first, if not the first, photographic galleries in Grand Forks was where Benner, Beggs and Garvans store now stands. Mr. Jacob Berg came to the place in 1881. His first gallery was on Bruce avenue where a blacksmith shop now stands and he remained there until 1890, when he built the substantial house where the gallery has since remained. He was a successful artist having learned the intricacies of the business in Minneapolis before coming to Grand Forks.
Mr. Berg was a Norwegian. He came to this country when a boy, locating in Minnesota, first on a farm where he received his early education. He was married to Miss Christine Langdon (Christina Langord) on December 7, 1881. Her parents lived then in Columbia county, Minnesota. Mr. Berg died November 22, 1898 (1897). Their children are Bertha, Amanda, Ella, Ethel, Jacob and Anthon (Anton).
History of the Red River Valley
Past and Present, Volume II
C. F. Cooper & Company, Chicago, 1909