William E. Butler
Born: around May 1848 in Maine
Spouse: Fannie A. Butler
Children: Birdie F.
- W. E. Butler, the popular photographer, has moved to more commodious quarters over “Horan’s,” 29 Washington avenue south (Minneapolis). Butler does some very fine work at reasonable prices. For really good work give him a call. (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Saturday Morning, January 11, 1879, Volume I, Number 362, Page 3)
- 1880 United States census records show William E. Butler (age 30, photographer, born in Maine) married to F. A. Butler (age 32, born in New Hampshire). A child, Henry E. (age 2, born in Minnesota), was also listed. The family lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- W. E. Butler is a native of Maine, born May, 1848. At twelve years of age he learned the trade of saw filer, and continued in it until 1871, when he commenced learning photography of W. H. Jacoby. In 1874 he commenced business in his present location on Central Avenue, Nicollet Island. Mr. Butler does a general photographic business, including portraits in India ink, water colors, and oil. He was married to Miss Fannie Whittier, of this city, in 1872. They have one son: Henry Edwin. (History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis, Edward D. Neill and J. Fletcher Williams, North Star Publishing Company, Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1881, Page 523)
- Worked with Floyd & Miller, Minneapolis photographers, for the past five years (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Monday, September 20, 1886, Page 4)
- Photographed of Grand Forks Fire Department Relief Hose Number 2 (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Thursday, October 28, 1886, Volume 10, Number 154, Page 4)
- Photographed the Grand Forks fairgrounds (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Thursday, October 28, 1886, Page 1)
- RETOUCHER – A lady retoucher wanted. Apply W. E. Butler, 706 Tower av., West Superior, Wis. (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Sunday Morning, August 14, 1892, Volume XIV, Number 227, Page 15)
- In 1892, William E. Butler had a photograph studio at 706 Tower Avenue and boarded at 927 Pennsylvania Avenue. (West Superior, Wisconsin, City Directory)
- In 1893, William E. Butler moved to Two Harbors, Minnesota. (Douglas County Historical Society)
- 1900 United States census records show William E. Butler (age 52, photographer, born in Maine) living in Two Harbors, Minnesota. His daughter Birdie F. (age 16, born in Minnesota) was also living with him.