Edward W. Grosvenor

Imported Norman Stallions.  I have two Percheron Norman Stallions, recently selected and imported from France, by E. A. Buck, publisher of New York Spirit of Times, and registered in the Percheron Norman Stud Book, which I will sell an interest in or let out on shares to a responsible party.  The horses can be seen at Hastings, and terms known, by addressing before April 5th, E. W. Grosvenor, Hastings, Minn.  (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Sunday Morning, April 4, 1880,Volume III, Number 95, Page 8.)

Among the Minnesotians prominently identified with breeding Percheron Norman stallions to the ordinary farm horse so generally in use in the state, is Col. E. W. Grosvenor, of Hastings, Dakota county, owner of the Trout Brook Stock farm, near that place, and also of a large tract of land in Watonwan county, on the line of the Chicago, St. Paul & Omaha road which he also proposes to devote to this class, of breeding on a large scale.  Colonel Grosvenor has at present, eight head of imp. Percheron-Norman stallions.  The prides of his stud are the stallions Rumney Duke and Grosvenor Duke, and with the purpose of getting up a little competition between breeders in the same line in the state, he authorizes the issuance of the following:

Challenge.  “I hereby challenge for the sum of $100 any breeder of Percheron-Norman stock to produce fifty colts that shall, in the opinion of competent judges, equal fifty colts gotten by my stallions Rumney Duke and Grosvenor Duke now in Dakota county,Minn.  I further offer a challenge of $50 for six or twelve month old colts, to equal colts from my imported stallions Nero, and Baron Hausman.”

Such a contest would excite wide interest and do much to attract attention to the excellence of the horses contesting.  Col. Grosvenor is about to secure a large number of “Broncho” mares for his Watonwan farm, upon which he will cross his Norman-Percheron stallions.  He is induced to this by the success attending such a cross upon three small Indian ponies, purchased at the government sale of captured stock in this city some three years ago.  These animals he bred to one of his Norman-Percheron stallions, and as a result he has from the cross yearling colts standing higher than their mothers, and promising to be large, well developed and strongly formed animals, Col. Grosvenor believes equally favorable results can be secured by a similar cross upon the “Broncho.”

Col. Grosvenor, the past week, made quite an important sale to J. B. Power, land commissioner of the St. Paul & Manitoba railroad, to be sent to his Helena Stock farm in Dakota territory, near Kindred.  The sale included the imp. Percheron-Norman stallion Grosvenor Duke, 8 years old, weight 1,750 pounds, dapply gray, recorded in Percheron-Norman stud book.  Selected in Franceby J. A. Bridgeland, United Statesconsul at Havre, and imported by E. A. Buck, of the Spirit of the Times.  Also six grade Percheron-Norman colts, from 18 to 20 months old, large and fine specimens, one of the youngest tipping the scales at 1,038 pounds.  The GLOBE is pleased to welcome Mr. Power to the ranks of our breeders.  By reference to our advertising columns it will be seen that Col. Grosvenor offers one of his stallions for sale.  He is fully guaranteed, and will be sold upon terms to suit the purchaser.  (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Monday Morning, March 6, 1882, Volume V, Number 65, Page 1)

To Let – Dairy farm at St. James, Minnesota, 600 acres, 30 cows, lot of young stock, all machinery for running.  Will let on shares.  Adress E. W. Grosvenor, Hastings, Minnesota.  (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Sunday Morning, April 9, 1882, Volume V, Number 99, Page 4)

St. Paul, Feb. 12, 1883.  Attention Sir. Kts. – You are hereby notified to appear at the Asylum at 11:30 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 14, 1883, in full dress, for the purpose of attending the funeral of Sir Kt. E. W. Grosvenor, at Hastings.  By order of E. C.  Geo. S. Acker, Rec.  (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Tuesday Morning, February 13, 1883, Volume V, Number 44, Page 8.)

Col. E. W. Grosvenor.  “The silver cord is loosed, the golden bowl is broken,” Col. E. W. Grosvenor is no more.  His form will no more be seen in our midst and his well known genial smile will no more greet his numerous friends in social or business relations.  He was a man of broad and liberal ideas, and extraordinary business capacity and executive ability.  Whatever enterprise he undertook, he pursued his object untiringly until it was accomplished.  Socially, his company was much sought, as his genial manner and kindly heart endeared him to his many friends.  He was generous to a fault, and his hand was ever open to the calls of metling charity.  This city received a blow by his death that is irreparable.  Grand Forks he regarded he regarded as his pet and the advancement of her interests was with him paramount to every other object.  It was through his exertions that the city was induced to introduce the system of water works, and in conversation with the writer about an hour before he was stricken by the dread visitant which laid him low, he expressed confidently a determination to push the electric light question to successful issue.  But he is gone, stricken in the full vigor of his manhood and faculties, and his friends as they gaze on the impressive, well known features of all that remains of their friend, feel that their loss and the city’s loss is irreparable, and they “will ne’er look upon his like again.” 

Edward William Grosvenor died yesterday morning (February 12, 1883) at the house of Capt. Griggs, of apoplexy.  He dined at the Grigg’s House on Sunday in company with a couple of friends, Mr. Sterritt, of St. Paul, and W. Y. Rumney, with whom he has been associated in business for several years.  He then drove out to call on his friend and business partner, Capt. Griggs, who is now confined to his room by sickness.  He was setting up stairs in the Captain’s room conversing with the Captain and Mrs. Griggs, and had just related a funny story, at which all were laughing heartily, when he suddenly stopped and made a peculiar noise, his eyes protruded and he fell into the arms of Capt. Griggs, who sprang to catch him.  Dr. Wheeler was then summoned, when he bled Mr. Grosvenor, who, after a while, partially recovered, and recognized his friends; he also talked a little.  It was discovered that one side was completely paralyzed.  He remained in this condition, apparently sensible of his surroundings, until 6 o’clock, when he received a second shock, and three hours after, on receiving the third shock, all hope of his recovery was abandoned.  He lingered until 2 o’clock in the morning, when his heart ceased to beat. 

The body was immediately taken to Thomas’ undertaking rooms and prepared for burial.  All the forenoon his remains was visited by his friends.  The remains were escorted in the afternoon to the depot by the Masons of this city, of which order he was an honored member.  They will be met at St. Paul by the Damascus Commandery and appropriate services be held.  The body goes then to Chicago to be buried, where his mother resides with two of her daughters, a third being married to Mr. E. Vose, of Hastings.  Mr. Grosvenor never married.  He was born in Geneva, New York, in 1826.  He came to Minnesota 20 years ago and settled in Cannon Falls.  He started the present flour mills at that place and owned them at the time of his death.  He was one fourth owner in the Roller mills in this city, and his wealth is estimated at $75,000.  He was also largely interested in Odessa, and at the time of his sudden death, he was intent on advancing schemes that would redound to the prosperity of this city.  (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Tuesday Morning, February 13, 1883, Volume 2, Number 86, Page 1)


Share Button