George Bull

The 1885 Dakota Territory census showed George Bull (age 32, Farmer, born in New York) married to Lizzie H. (age 30, born in New York) and living in Grand Forks, North Dakota.  They had a daughter Bessie (age 3, born in Dakota Territory).

In the 1889-90 Grand Forks directory, George Bull was a farmer living at 59 8th Avenue in Grand Forks.

Along with partners George B. Clifford and Emery Mapes, George Bull ran the Diamond Flour Mill in Grand Forks in the 1880s.  The head miller of the Diamond Flour Mill, Thomas Amidon, came up an idea to make a breakfast cereal from a portion of the wheat called farina.  This breakfast cereal became known as “Cream of Wheat.”  The production of Cream of Wheat was later moved to Minneapolis.  Cream of Wheat is still made today by the NABISCO company.

Geo. Bull Dead.  Death Claimed One of the Oldest Settlers Yesterday.  Although his death has been expected for several days the announcement made yesterday afternoon that George Bull was dead was a blow to his many friends in the city and they were legion.  For several years Mr. Bull has been afflicted with heart trouble and for the past few months he has been unable to look after his business matters personally.  He was treasurer of the North Dakota Milling company and the recent failure it is believed worried him so much that his death was hastened.

George Bull came to this city in 1880 with John E. Cooley and the family made their home with the Cooleys for five years, moving then into the home on Eighth street, which they still occupy.  Mr. Bull was born in Orange county, N. Y., of Quaker parentage, and was 44 years of age.  Besides his wife he leaves three children:  Bessie, aged 14, Dan, aged 11, and Clara 6.  An infant child died before the family left New York.

Up to noon yesterday Mr. Bull was conscious and during Friday night and yesterday, although he was suffering great pain, he sent for intimate friends and bade them good-bye.  George Bull was one of the “salt of the earth,” to use a common expression.  He was fair with every man and the news of his death will be a painful surprise to his large circle of friends and acquaintances, whose sympathies go out to the bereaved family.  The funeral will take place from the residence Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock.  (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Sunday Morning, May 2, 1897, Page 5)

OBSEQUIES.  Funeral of George Bull Yesterday Afternoon.  The funeral services of George Bull took place yesterday afternoon from the house on Eighth avenue, in the presence of a very large concourse of friends, neighbors and citizens who testified by their presence of the high esteem in which the deceased was held.  Indeed so great was the throng present that many were unable to gain admission.  Rev. W. H. Spence officiated and the services were very impressive.  Mr. Spence paid a high tribute to the personal worth of Mr. Bull, and his words of consolation to the sorrowing were most fitting.  A number of beautiful selections were rendered by the Presbyterian choir and the Congregational quartette.  The floral tributes were both numerous and appropriate.  Quite a number were received from out of town friends.  The pall bearers were S. S. Titus, F. R. Fulton, H. L. Whithed, J. Walker Smith, Burke Corbet and Geo. B. Clifford.  After the service at the home the remains were taken to the Northern Pacific depot and forwarded last evening to Mr. Bull’s old home at Montgomery, Orange county, N. Y., for interment.  (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Tuesday Morning, May 4, 1897, Page 1)


Share Button