W. L. Reeves, ‘Earliest’ City Resident, Dies at 82
William L. Reeves, 82 years old, who came to this area in 1868 and so far as is known, was in Grand Forks earlier than any person now living here, died suddenly Friday (September 26, 1941) at his home, 524 Sibley street, East Grand Forks.
Born Feb. 12, 1859 in Wheeling, W. Va., Mr. Reeves came to this area when he was nine years old with his father, Captain D. P. Reeves. A veteran shipbuilder who learned his trade in Scotland, the elder Reeves taught his son to assist him and, after William had become a young man, he helped repair such early Red river flatboats as the Dakota, International, Selkirk and Alfred, all built earlier by his father.
Reeves drive in Grand Forks was named for Mr. Reeves’ father, whose farm fronted the “trail” that is now one of the city’s principal streets.
When shipping on the Red river died, Mr. Reeves turned to farming and carpenter work. During his later years he retired and lived with his two daughters in East Grand Forks.
Surviving are three daughters, Grace and Dorothy of East Grand Forks and Mrs. Genevieve Williamson of Side View, Alberta; one sister, Mrs. Elizabeth Levi of East Grand Forks and a brother, Robert Reeves of Wenatchee, Wash.
Services will be Sunday at 2 P. M. from the home and 2:30 P. M. in Mendenhall Memorial Presbyterian church, with Rev. R. J. Blue officiating.
Grand Forks Herald
Saturday, September 27, 1941
Volume 60, Number 281, Page 1