Page 624. Frederick Hotel – Formerly the Antlers. This hotel has done its part in giving the city a reputation for the traveling public in the commercial line.
Page 625. The building is a five-story structure 50×100 feet, having large halls, commodious dining rooms, and a good basement addition, etc. It is run strictly on the European plan. It was erected by John S. Bartholomew in 1899, and first occupied by McGowan Brothers. They were followed by Prescott & Freeman, then J. J. Freeman, and then by Mr. Thomas E. Burke. Mr. J. J. Freeman of Prescott & Freeman, met with a fatal accident in the hotel elevator. His inquest, by Judge McLoughlan, acting as coroner, was held August 21st, 1905. Mr. Freeman’s widow sold to Mr. Burke, the former proprietor of the Columbia Hotel at Langdon.
In 1907 Frederick Bartholomew, son of the builder, took charge and changed the name of the hotel to The Frederick, and he is now in charge. (History of the Red River Valley Past and Present, Volume II, C. F. Cooper & Company, Chicago, 1909)
Hotelier Colonel Fred Bartholomew, originally of the Frederick Hotel in Grand Forks, North Dakota, expected to open the Arlington Inn at Santa Barbara, California, in 1931. (America’s Main Street Hotels, John A. Jakle and Keith A. Sculle, The University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville, 2009, Page 154)
Fred A. Bartholomew. Born March 15, 1874 in Painesville, Ohio. Died April 2, 1942 in Los Angeles, California. Married to Iva H. Hedger on January 1, 1900 in Aberdeen, South Dakota.