Ingalls House

Also known as:  Mansard House

INGALLS, C. B. Ingalls, prop., cor. North Fourth & DeMers.  (Grand Forks and North Dakota Manual for 1885, William L. Dudley, Plaindealer Book and Job Rooms, 1885, Page 118)

THE INGALLS HOUSE.  This popular hotel has become a great favorite among the traveling public.  Centrally located, in the midst of the business section of the city, within three minutes walk of the postoffice, express office and the majority of the business houses, and with cozy rooms, a menu unexcelled, commodious sample rooms and with first-class appointments in every respect, the house enjoys a large patronage.  The jolly host, Col. C. B. Ingalls, has been in the hotel business nearly fifteen years and knows just how to make the stay of his guests pleasant and comfortable.  (Grand Forks and North Dakota Manual for 1885, William L. Dudley, Plaindealer Book and Job Rooms, 1885, Page 145)

Ingalls House, water works and improvement, $1,000.  (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Sunday Morning, December 19, 1886, Volume 11, Number 42, Page 4)

The Ingalls house, at Grand Forks, accommodated 598 guests for January, 1888, and up to Feb. 20, 349, which speaks well for its management and is no mean card for the town.  (The Saint Paul Daily Globe, Saturday Morning, March 3, 1888, Volume X, Number 63, Page 6)

The Ingalls.  The second hotel in Grand Forks was built by Captain Hugh Maloney in 1878, and called the Mansard House.  It stands on the corner of DeMers avenue and Fourth street and was rented to Colonel Ingalls in 1883, who changed the name to that of his own.  Although he was in charge of the house but a few years, the name has been permitted to stand as it is.  The property and its business has been in the possession of Mrs. Mary Maloney since the death of her husband some ten years ago.  The Ingalls, now one of the historic land marks of Grand Forks, has been thoroughly refitted for the better accommodation of its patrons.  It is a large three story building, having besides offices and other rooms forty-five well furnished sleeping apartments, and which with gas, bath, hot and cold water, and with its central location for business purposes, makes it a desirable place for a public house.  (History of the Red River Valley Past and Present, Volume II, Clement A. Lounsberry, C. F. Cooper & Company, Chicago, 1909, Page 624)

Ingalls House, corner 4th and DeMers avenue.  (Grand Forks City Directory 1889-90, Chas. Pettibone & Co., Publishers, Aberdeen, S. D.)



Old Building, Soon to Be Razed, Offers Food for Flames.
Fire, Origin Unknown, Gutted Structure Early Monday – Occupants of Flats “Smoked Out,” Excitement Ran High in Neighborhood – Tenants on Lower Floors Suffered Loss – Good Work of Department.

Good work on the part of the Grand Forks fire department, under the direction of Chief Fitzgerald, early Monday morning, confined a fire, the origin of which is unknown, but which was discovered in the old Ingalls hotel on Fourth and DeMers avenue, to that building and saved from damage and possible loss, such buildings as the Kelsey block, Elks Temple and Spriggs block, located in the near vicinity.  The fact that there was no wind and that the department promptly put several streams of water on the flames, working in nearly every part of the old and oddly-cut-up structure, resulted in the prevention of a serious fire in one of the important localities of the down-town business district.

Origin a Mystery.

The alarm was turned in by a roomer in the upper floor of the Kelsey building at about 4 a. m., who states that he first heard a sharp explosion and then a flash of blue light, running along an electric wire which spanned the Kelsey and Ingalls hotel buildings and that the blaze appeared to enter the latter building.  He dressed hurriedly and made his way to the street, where he turned in the alarm.

Four Different Fires.

Those who were on the scene early state that they noticed three or four different fires in the building, apparently on the second floor and in the wings.  The smoke poured in dense columns from the old frame building, filled as it was on the upper floors with clothing, bedding and furniture and occupants of flats in the Spriggs block nearby thought at first that the fire was in that building.  Hurried exits were made, some preparing to move their household effects, but it was soon apparent that the department would be able to hold the fire in check, even if not being able to save the Ingalls building.

A Stubborn Blaze.

The fire offered stubborn resistance to the firemen, breaking out anew in different places as soon as they had one checked, and it was not until nearly noon Monday that they succeeded in putting the last blaze out.  The building is badly gutted and the loss is hard to estimate because of the contents.  It is owned by the Scandinavian-American bank and Northwestern Trust company and was soon to be raised, bids having been advertised for.

In the glare of the flames, the sign, “To be removed soon, for sale,” appeared on the side of the old hotel, a pat sample of irony in view of the fact that it was even then “being removed” by a motive power greater than anything ever connived by mere man.

The hotel was unoccupied, the rooms having been closed last week and the upper floors given over to storage for furniture.  On the lower floor next to the A. J. Sorlie offices, furniture was stored and being sold by James Coan, employed by the bank.  Most of this was removed.  Mr. Sorlie was also able to remove his effects and suffered practically little loss.  Mrs. Maloney, who formerly owned the property, and personal effects stored on the second floor, valued at $400, fully covered by insurance.

Personal Loss.

Louis Rosoff, proprietor of the Grand pharmacy, estimates his loss at $1,500, with insurance of $2,000.  He saved his books and private papers, but the stock was badly damaged by water and smoke.

He is moving into a building on DeMers avenue, near the Western Union offices and will soon be ready for business.

The Postal Telegraph, in the annex, suffered perhaps $100 loss, most of the fixtures and effects being removed before they were damaged.

The bank estimates the loss, outside the building and furniture, at $2,000.  Insurance in the sum of $8,000 was carried on the structure and $2,000 on the furniture.

Louis Butler, owner of the barber shop, puts his loss at about $100.  He was about to move to the Clifford building, where he will open a barber shop.  Most of his fixtures and supplies were removed before the fire and water had damaged them.  He carried $50 insurance.

H. Warburton, confectioner, estimates his loss at $250.  He carried $800 insurance on the stock, valued at $1,000.  He is now located at 404 DeMers avenue.

The building will be promptly wrecked, it is stated, and the tenants have all located themselves elsewhere.  Insurance adjusters are expected today to look over the ruins.  (Grand Forks Daily Herald, Tuesday Morning, March 31, 1914, Volume XXXIII, Number 129, Page 8).


Share Button